Friday, February 15, 2008

My Hero: Jesse Owens



1. and 2. With this poster I took a simple approach by using a basic format with a frame around two images almost like a photo in a photo frame. I was trying to capture a "moment in time" (Jesse's greatest athletic achievement) which was why I chose to use two equally sized images just like a picture in a photo. My layout is very symmetrical with two equal sized images encompassing the majority of the poster and a round focal point in the middle of the two identical sized photos. The writing used in this poster is also symmetrical with the two vertical wordings using one shaded font and the two horizontal wordings using a bolder larger text. To add additional visual interest I have included in the center of the poster a large olympic medallion from Jesse Owens 1936 Berlin Olympic wins. The reason I chose to place the medallion in the center of the poster is to maintain the symmetry of this poster as there is only one medallion and to create some interest in an otherwise basic poster. The text in this particular poster plays an important role. It creates a picture frame in what would otherwise be an empty frame and lists actual facts about Jesse Owens greatest athletic achievements. I chose to use only two photos instead of a collage of his athletic shots because I wanted the viewer to be able to capture his one greatest hour, a specific moment of his career.

3. Focal Point: I have put an olympic medal from the 1936 Olympics in my poster. It creates a focal point because it is the centerpoint of the poster, creates a distinct line of symmetry in the poster and contrasts the colourful frame of the poster with its black and white center.

Texture: I have used various settings in my horizontal and vertical words to create texture. The horizontal, gold words seem rough and old, while the vertical silver words have a smooth, shiny feel.

Overlap: Although I have only overlaped in one instance of my poster, (Jesse's Gold Medal) I feel that it is important because it creates a focal point and a distinct line axis of symmetry.

No comments: